Tuesday, May 14, 2013

#amwriting NA!

I spent 7 years writing my first book, a YA dystopian/post-apocalyptic re-telling with sci-fi elements (aka "Speculative Fiction Epic Remix, Vol. XXII on meth"). 

So, clearly, it is time to move on.  Yeah, I really love my little inverted re-telling of Adam & Eve, but I'm tired of revising.  Maybe I'll come back to it in a few years.  Thankfully, a new story has inspired me.  This time, I'm trying a new, more adult, voice.  I am excited about the challenges of writing a Romance.  How do you write a good sex scene?  How do you build emotional tension?  How do you give your reader those fun butterflies you feel in your stomach on a good first date?

I started reading more romance novels.  Some of my favorite authors have become Keri Ford, Diana Gabaldon, Katie McGarry, and Tessa Dare.  I even read Fifty Shades of Grey (which I somewhat enjoyed.  Don't judge me!)

My work in progress involves a hot French soccer player (or "football player" for my more cultured friends).  Researching hot French soccer players has been EPIC.  Seriously, this is the most fun I've ever had writing a book.  Here is why:

Yoann Gourcuff



James Haskell (yes, he's a rugby player, but still...)
 
 

Olivier Giroud
 
 

Karim Benezema
 
 
 
Pick your jaw up off the floor.  Do you see what I mean?  Why didn't this inspiration strike sooner!?  Here I've been stuck in my YA world for years...and in the meantime, these guys were just running around shirtless?  I am SO glad to be moving on to a new project now.  At first, I kind of felt like I was abandoning my baby.  But I'm over that now.  Wayyy over it. 
 
So here's to NA!  May it broaden your horizons as it did mine! 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment