Monday, December 26, 2011

Kurt Vonnegut at the Blackboard - Lapham’s Quarterly

Kurt Vonnegut at the Blackboard - Lapham’s Quarterly

My husband sent this link to me years ago. I go back and read it every so often. Kurt Vonnegut graphs the plot structures and story arcs (if any) of several famous works. The lesson culminates in an enlightening discussion of Shakespeare's Hamlet. I never really got into Hamlet in high school or college. To be honest, I'm just not that interested in Shakespeare in general. However, after reading Vonnegut's take on Hamlet, I decided to re-read it. I can't say that I suddenly fell in love with the play, but I can say that I appreciate it more. The only thing that might make me fall in love with it is Hamlet himself, who happens to look just like Ryan Gosling, showing up at my door with freshly baked cookies and a Starbucks gift card.

No comments:

Post a Comment